Telling Your Child
What can help in knowing when to tell (and how to do it at any age) –
- The Telling and Talking booklets, 0-7, 8-11, 12-16, 17+ and 12+ Continuing the conversation, are designed to support and guide parents in starting and continuing to be open at any age.
- The Our Story books for children conceived by egg donation, sperm donation, and also double or embryo donation, as well as surrogacy, are wonderful starting points for sharing information with children.
- Join DCN to talk with other parents about when they ‘told’ their children.
- Come on a Telling and Talking workshop.
- Read the recommended books in the DCN Library for stories of when parents around the world have shared information with their children.
What can help with the language and timing of telling –
- The Telling and Talking booklet, 0-7 gives examples of language you can use with any baby or child in this age group.
- The American Fertility Association has produced a very good booklet on openness and ‘telling’ for parents of children conceived by egg donation.
- The Our Story books for children, contain language that parents often find valuable to use.
What can help with understanding reactions at different ages –
- The Telling and Talking booklets, 0-7, 8-11, 12-16 and 17+ are designed to support and guide parents in starting and continuing to be open at any age and to give insight into different reactions at these stages of development.
What can help with supporting children telling others –
- The Telling and Talking booklets, 0-7, 8-11, 12-16 and 17+ are designed to support and guide parents in starting and continuing to be open at any age and give examples of situations where children have told others and handled their responses.
- DC Network has a Primary Schools pack which can help you talk to the class teacher or staff about your child's origins and scaffold the sharing of their story at school.
What can help in families where children have different beginnings?
- Read the booklet Mixed Blessings: Building a family with and without donor help. This was written especially for you.
- There are sections in Telling and Talking 0 – 7 and 8 – 11 about sharing information when there is difference in the family.